January 31, 2008

Diaper Derby


So, we heard about this great contest on the radio for a baby Diaper Derby. Grand Prize: a trip for four to either Cancun, Mexico or Punta Cana, Dominican Republic. So, wanting to use our child to our complete advantage, we registered her to compete. We show up to the mall the morning of the competition and get in line behind about 15 other kids. I'm thinking, wow, this is all her competition? She's a sho0-in! We register our one-day-short-of-being-too-old-to-compete dear for her first competitive event. Her number? #18. I wasn't so sure about the even number. Both Mac and I have always chosen odds. And then we wait. And then wait some more. As we wait, the line grows and grows and GROWS. There must have been 500 babies!!! It was absolute madness! Fortunately for us, we were in the second heat (yes, that's official) and did not have to wait too long with a screaming, kicking, hungry, tired toddler like most in the masses. So, we get to the starting line. McKayla is at the very end. I am behind her. Dad is her target. The rules state that once they say "go" you may not touch your child. Or you will be DQ'd. So they say "go" and I am still touching my child! Oops. Fortunately they yelled at me loud enough that I let go and was not disqualified. So, what does McKayla do once I let go? The same thing she did when I was still holding on. Nothing. Did not move an inch. She sat there, on all fours, looking around at everyone wondering what the heck all the noise was about (see pic from the radio station of McK still on the starting line for proof). She was way too interested in people watching to care about crawling. So with that, her competition took off, right across the mat, and scored the touchdown for his team. His number? #17. Now if only it had been a cute baby contest . . . .
(Disclaimer: We are in no way disappointed in our child for her performance. She was happy and sweet to her competition and if there had been a Miss Congeniality, she would have won it! Most of the babies just sat there and cried. We had a great time and laughed until our sides hurt at all the cute babies and all the desperate parents needing a vacation!)

No comments: