October 24, 2007

Wowee Maui





















Mac and I were able to take a much-needed vacation together recently to the the wonderful island of Maui, Hawaii. Mac had to work part of the time but we still had plenty of time to spend together, take in all the sights and see friends who live on the island. It was a wonderful trip. McKayla stayed on the mainland and enjoyed a vacation of her own with the Garlock family. Four kids, a dog and lots of new toys meant she had a great time! Here are some of the highlights, things I learned and memories I will never forget about the trip:
  • Driving with the convertible top down on the way to the hotel, hooting and hollering like a couple of teenagers.
  • Waking up the next morning to a majestic view of the ocean.
  • Fresh pineappple. Mmmm.
  • The $28 breakfast buffet.
  • Playing at the beach at sunset (before dusk when the sharks come out to "play") and getting hit so hard by a wave that it felt like a freight train, and then laughing and digging the sand out of every crevice possible.
  • My first public vomit. Seriously.
  • The swim-up bar/restaurant. It's not every day you get to snack while pruning.
  • Swimming under the cold waterfall and swinging from the rope swing, all the while thinking my doctor would kill me if he knew what I was doing ;)
  • Realizing that halfway to Hana is far enough, especially when you are carsick.
  • Six inches of Pacific Ocean can kill a cell phone in mere seconds.
  • A Koi pond would be a great addition to our yard.
  • Sunset dinner cruises are the not what you think they are. Think cold food, unknown food, cake straight from the Safeway box :)
  • Green sea turtles (Honu) are the most serene, kindest animals.
  • A tattoo of the Hawaiian islands on the hip of a gorgeous, very in-shape hula girl actually looks pretty cool.
  • Some friendships never change . . . and that's a good thing.
  • Leaving McKayla with one tooth, returning to two.
  • I thought living in the DC area was expensive.
  • Lahaina, which means Land of the Merciless Sun, lives up to its name.
  • I (Amy) can still get a tan!
  • Kapalua Falls is referred to, by the locals, as Shit Falls. Direct translation is "toilet paper."

  • All couples need to take time alone . . . and I can't wait for the next vacation!

No comments: