October 15, 2008

The "Adventure"

We departed DC on Thursday headed to Colorado for my 10-year high school reunion. In order to prepare McKayla for our trip, I told her several times that we were going on an adventure. Little did I know the "adventure" we were in for. Here is what happened (I will post pics later):

Friday afternoon I put McKayla down for a nap. Earlier that day I had started a box of old stuff to get rid of and put in that a bottle of lamp oil (liquid paraffin). McKayla reached the box and the bottle, somehow got the child proof cap off, and took a swig. Mac heard her yelling and found her with the bottle still in hand trying to get the yuckiness out of her mouth. The problem was that she aspirated it into her lungs. After being unable to find the number for Poison Control (can you believe 411 did not have it???) and realizing she was having difficulty breathing and starting to lose consciousness, we called 911. The CSFD responded within minutes and determined she needed to be taken by ambulance to Memorial Hospital. Because I am familiar with the area, Mac went with McKayla in the ambulance so I could drive with Bailey to the ER. My mom got in her car to follow behind me.
When I neared the entrance to the interstate, I heard the ambulance switch on the sirens. This was when I started to freak out. Nothing is scarier than knowing your kid is in that ambulance running through red lights. While I was asked/told by the wonderful fireman to drive safely and not break any speed records, I stayed right behind the ambulance, using it as my blocker and went through every red light they did. I then realized my mom was no longer behind me. I called on the cell phone and could not reach her. I hung up and tried again and only heard part of what she was saying "...going to check the hood . . ." Turns out her car died. Just died, in mid-drive, on the interstate. I continued to the hospital while my mom called friends for assistance.
When I arrived McKayla was being tended to by several doctors and nurses, was out of it, with tubes everywhere. At least it seemed like it on such a little person. The good thing was that she automatically reached for me and said "Mommy." I held her while they continued to work on her and determine just what kind of state she was in.
On the way to the hospital I made another call. This turns out to be one of the best decisions I could have made. I called a college buddy who I knew had worked as a nurse in this ER to ask if another college friend who is currently an ER nurse there was on duty. She was not but both girls dropped everything and headed to the hospital. They arrived only minutes after I did and immediately jumped in to determine what was going on, talk to the docs and fellow nurses and simply lend their support. These are girls that I have not seen or talked to in years and yet they never questioned being there for me and my child whom they had never even met. It put me at ease. And if anyone should have to cut your little girl's onesie off, it should be friends who care!
The HAZMAT guy came to talk to me and determine something about McKayla (I still don't know what, things happened so fast). When I looked up at him I realized he had taught my Emergency Nursing course my Senior year. Needless to say, I was happy to be in good hands all around.
During the entire thing Mac was cool as ice. Calm. Gentle. Reassuring. Amazing! McKayla was eventually admitted to the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU) where she remained until Sunday. We were told of the possibilities and that things could turn worse after 24 hours, there was really no knowing. Because the lamp oil is a hydrocarbon and petroleum-based, once it gets in the lungs, there is nothing you can do about it to get it out or neutralize it. It can continue to burn and damage the lungs. We just had to wait. And pray. And pray we did.
After 24 hours, she seemed to be doing well and we were counting out blessings. We were told that when she was able to leave the hospital she would have to do so on oxygen. Not only were we dealing with the aspiration, we had high altitude to consider. In the end, she made a remarkable recovery and was released on Sunday without oxygen! We were thrilled!
During our hospital stay, we had visits from friends since I was unable to attend all high school reunion events. I was, however, able to attend a surprise baby shower for a dear friend and was so grateful to see old friends! It really did my heart good to spend time with good folks who had been praying for our little girl and whom I have missed so much over the last 10 years. Mac and I even were able to enjoy an evening out with my high school and college friends before heading back to Virginia.
McKayla seemed almost normal (besides being totally wiped out) on Monday. We traveled home on Tuesday and during our layover realized she had developed a fever. We knew that developing pneumonia was a possibility because of the damage to the lungs. After arriving home last night, we ended up taking her to the ER as she was having difficulty breathing again, was inconsolable and still had a fever. They allowed us to bring her home after an antibiotic shot so she could sleep in her own bed but it was back to the doc this afternoon. She has a high white count which indicates she does have a bacterial infection, they just don't know what it is. She is now on antibiotics and, fingers crossed, is on her way to a full recovery. Bailey was an angel the whole time, thank goodness and made things easier. She even got to play in the hospital bed with McKayla which I think was a highlight for her ;)
So, our Colorado trip turned out to be the adventure of a lifetime and not at all as we had planned. I keep telling McKayla that Colorado really is a fun place! I also want to say thanks to my mom for being such a big help and apologize that there was not much play time this time around! And to my dear friends, thank you for showing me what true friendship is! Last but not least (does this sound like an acceptance speech or what?), Mac, I love you. I respect you. I admire your tenacity, compassion, kindness and your amazing skills as a father and husband. There is no other person in the world that I would rather spoon with on a tiny hospital bench. Thank you for making my job as a mother so much easier!

4 comments:

Christy said...

WOW! What a tramatic thing you guys went through, as I was reading it, tears were starting because I felt so scared for you and I can't even imagine what you went through! I would have been a wreck if that were my child, especailly when they turned the sirens on! I am so sorry. How is she doing now? Is it something that will have long lasting effects or should she be back to perfect soon?

Amy said...

She should have no permanent damage, thank goodness!

Ofamily said...

We will keep her in our prayers. :)

Cristi said...

Glad she's ok! I wish ALan and I could have come to the reunion!